Monday, March 23, 2009

TPCK Reflection
Chapter 4
Kim Fuller
3/22/09

This chapter was interesting in its focus. It emphasized the need to create pre-service programs where perspective teachers learn to model TPCK while going through their program. In this way, new teachers won’t run into the challenges Laura faced even though she was comfortable with technology.
This shift in teacher preparation programs will be necessary and it’s beginning to happen as I’ve seen here at UMF. The perspective teachers I’ve worked with are very comfortable integrating technology. It is my feeling, that due to the use of technology as second nature, these young students can make the step toward TPCK more seamlessly.
I was pleased to read about Nell and how as a veteran teacher she made use of technology in a meaningful and highly engaging manner. That scenario showed how someone with solid content knowledge and pedagogy can take the risk with technology and be very successful. It gave me a lift to read about her success.
I related to Nell in that she had many years of experience, enjoyed her content area and was looking for ways to improve her teaching. It is also helpful to go through the same process and reexamine how I approach my curriculum in regards to technology. My school has many things in place already and I am beginning to see how I can utilize what we have and look forward to things I will want to add to my repertoire .
It will be part of my role as a school leader to evaluate my schools technology systems,
observe how that technology is being used, provide teaching training and model the use of technology myself. Keep abreast of what new technology is being developed and how to best upgrade existing systems. It will be an important aspect of hiring new teachers. It will be part of the process when looking at candidates. But it will be important to remember how well veteran teachers can learn and use technology. Like anything, balance is key.

3 comments:

  1. I found several sites interesting. I was not aware of teachertube.com so I will be viewing clips often. The site infotoday.com will help with my unit project. It can search for ideas and help when teaching my students about digital storytelling. The Edsitement site was very comprehensive and I found a specific unit I can incorporate into my unit of immigration. I was also struck by the story Restoring Their Voices. It's an excellent reminder of how technology has opened up channels of communication for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to use a unit from the Edsitement site! I was impressed with all the information that was available there. I felt like I had only scratched the surface in investigating it. I also was touched by "Restoring Their Voices." In an age when it seems like all we hear about is bad news, it's nice to hear about uplifting positive stories for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you enjoy teachertube as well. I came upon it when searching for engaging ways to introduce the elements of figurative language. I really love it. It found great little introductions to similes and personification that are funny and ALREADY MADE! I love it. Let me know if you end up finding anything good for your immigration unit. I am so excited to steal it and use it! I have already told my social studies colleague about it and she is ready to steal it as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete