Wednesday, March 18, 2009

TPCK
Chapter 3
TPCK in K-12 Literacy Education
3/18/09

Literacy teaching and learning are constantly changing and as an elementary school teacher for over 20 years, I have seen the vast changes over that time period. I also notice how literacy teaching and learning has changed in the last few years. It is changing at an even greater rate. With the introduction of technology into the arena of literacy the student and teacher needs are rapidly increasing.
The uses technology in my literacy program has been mostly in the area of writing. I have utilized Kidpix, Kidspiration, and Inspiration, work processing programs and PowerPoint for a variety of projects. I was very excited to read about the SubEthaEdit Program. That tool would be fantastic to use during Writer’s Workshop but the program can be used by anyone at anytime!
Technology during reading time has been limited. I don’t have many programs to use but I do gather reading materials from the Internet and my students also engage in Webquests. We use the Internet for research and the students learn how to pick sources that give them the best information and if it’s at a level they can access.
Digital literacy is an area where I am playing catch-up. There is so much to learn and so many strategies for teaching with technology that I feel I’m just at the beginning stages. This course has been extremely helpful in getting me to take more risks and look into what is available to help my students.
Teacher prep courses are beginning to prepare new teachers for the use of technology and that is evident in the practicum and student teachers I have worked with over the last few years. They are very comfortable with technology and seems second nature to them when planning learning activities. However, I feel new teachers are not as prepared in the area of teaching literacy. I find the new teachers I’ve worked with lack the understanding of the complexity of learning to read or write and how to approach teaching these subjects. I too was in the same position as a new teacher. I feel more needs to be done at the college level to help prepare

4 comments:

  1. I found several sites very helpful. The graphic organizers from the Middle School Balanced Literacy Site look useful and some were a twist on things I've used in the past which is a good thing. The will use the digital storytelling site as I teach my students how to create their final project for my immigration unit. I am also intrigued by the SubEthaEdit site and hope to try it with my students for the 30 day trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will also use the PPS site to show my students the published work of children their ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim-
    I am glad that you are finding some sites useful for your project and ones that you can use in your classroom. I would be curious how the SubEthaEdit site goes for your 30 day trial. Good Luck. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - It is amazing how many literacy sites are out there for K-6 teachers. The balanced literacy site sounds like it will be really useful. I am curious to see your final product with your students. I, too, hope to try out SubEthaEdit. It seems to hold a lot of potential. It would be cool for students to work with others from another school. I am curious as to how effective it would be at the primary age.

    ReplyDelete