Sunday, March 29, 2009

TPCK
Chapter 9
Science, technology, and teaching:
The topic-specific challenges of TPCK
In science
Kim Fuller
3/22/09

Science and technology have always seemed to come as a pair. Throughout time all science disciplines have used technology to explore questions, make observations, record data and prove theories.
For teachers in the classroom technology and science go hand in hand, but the challenges of TPCK are always present. Teachers need to know their subject, students and how to best integrate technology. Again, as in all subject areas some teachers are more versed in a specific science area or like most elementary teachers, have a broad or varied understanding of science due to each individual’s background.
I have been fortunate to work with a science curriculum that is very hands-on and comprehensive. I teach three science units each year and the materials/technology is included in a kit format. For example, we do a unit on electricity and all students create circuits that run lights and motors. We have some Internet sites that compliment the unit as well. But as I am learning from the content presentations, I need to explore more technology opportunities for my students and match their needs more specifically.
The last part of this chapter spoke about how pre-service teachers need to be exposed to the best pedagogical and technical practices and experience them through their courses while in college. This is essential and I see how this model can work effectively to prepare future teachers for the TPCK classroom. But… We can’t know it all. We need to be willing to learn and grow because education and learning are on going.

3 comments:

  1. I found the BBC science clips very useful. I explored the options for my grade level and found 3 specific activities to match each of the 3 science units I teach each year.
    The Monarch Migration site was spectacular and even though I don't specifically teach about Monarchs, I can certainly use it to explore other topics. Having such amazing photos alone can spark students into wanting to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    My students love the videos and photos of the caterpillars making their chrysalis. With a decline in the survival of Monarch Butterflies this website enhances my life cycle unit. This website also integrates Math and Language Art with different links. The teacher's site is a great resource to access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    I am happy to hear that the BBC site may have some resources that align with your students work. You mentioned your electricity unit in your post - I just love the interactive simulations at the University of Colorado - http://phet.colorado.edu/index.php - they work with PCs and MACs, are free and incredibly powerful at visualizing difficult concepts like electricity. The DC circuit builder is here - http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Circuit_Construction_Kit_DC_Only

    ReplyDelete